Horde's Golden Guards Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Horde's Golden Guards Forum

Welcome to the official guild forum!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

GEM problems - MAJOR problems....:/

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Tengel

GEM problems - MAJOR problems....:/ Empty
PostSubject: GEM problems - MAJOR problems....:/   GEM problems - MAJOR problems....:/ Icon_minitimeThu Dec 21, 2006 3:10 pm

I tried to install the GEM addon - HUGE mistake....

I couldn't read the events at all, only 1 of the lines was close to readable, and rest was just gray lines. I tried to remove the addon in two ways:
- tried just to de-activate it
- tried to remove it from the addons folder

Both were unsuccessful, cause i got spammed with messages in the chat box from this addon. After advice from some of the members of this guild, i tried to leave that chat channel. That didn't work at all!

So, i decided to reinstall the game, cause the spam messages was making me crazy - there was about 1 message ever 3-4 seconds. And now i'm in hell....

My install CD #4 may be damaged, cause the install stops there, and when i try to copy the CD to the hard drive, i get some weird error message. I have posted on the official website, hoping to get some help, until i do, i can't play WoW...

I tried to download the trial edition of the game, but since i already have an active account, i'm not allowed to do so....

Please, guys - i need help - if any of you are able to send me this file, or know how to get it, PLEASE TELL:

Installer Tome 4.mpq

Obviously, i now officially HATE GEM...... /cry
Back to top Go down
Tengel

PostSubject: Re: GEM problems - MAJOR problems....:/   GEM problems - MAJOR problems....:/ Icon_minitimeThu Dec 21, 2006 3:41 pm

Btw, if anyone knows where i can download this file:

I have the "new" 5 disc editon, not the old with 4 discs. The file i need is 629 MB, the old is smaller, i think.
Back to top Go down
Tengel

PostSubject: Re: GEM problems - MAJOR problems....:/   GEM problems - MAJOR problems....:/ Icon_minitimeThu Dec 21, 2006 5:15 pm

Ok, with some workaround, i'm able to download the trial editon after all. Had to use another username, and a different e-mail address.

So, i'm downloading just as i'm writing this. 2.86 GB to download... estimated to be finished between 6 and 7 am - then it's install + updates download...

Several hours till i'm back into the game, earliest tomorrow afternoon, but it seems the problems will be solved.

Lesson learned: no more GEM for me... No
Back to top Go down
tiroli

PostSubject: Re: GEM problems - MAJOR problems....:/   GEM problems - MAJOR problems....:/ Icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2006 8:56 am

When you have trouble with some addon ( GEM for example)
DO NOT try to resolve the problem by reinstalling the whole game.
Uninstalling addon is easy like installing - just delete the folder in Interfaces/Addons and restart WOW.
Back to top Go down
Tengel

PostSubject: Re: GEM problems - MAJOR problems....:/   GEM problems - MAJOR problems....:/ Icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2006 9:12 am

As said earlier:

I tried to remove the addon in two ways:
- tried just to de-activate it
- tried to remove it from the addons folder

No help at all... This addon doesn't only affect the addon folder.
Back to top Go down
Tamerlane
Head of Defence
Head of Defence

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2006-10-25

PostSubject: Re: GEM problems - MAJOR problems....:/   GEM problems - MAJOR problems....:/ Icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2006 1:53 pm

i really don't understand how can that be...

when the patch came i also got spammed by gem in a channel, i just typed /leave and the number of the channel and everything was ok

and addons do affect only the addons folder, cause they are just text scripts and can not do anything outside themselves

maybe you tried to install an out of date GEM, pre 2.0 patch, i have no idea what else could be the problem
Back to top Go down
Signet
Head of Defence
Head of Defence
Signet

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2006-11-23

PostSubject: Re: GEM problems - MAJOR problems....:/   GEM problems - MAJOR problems....:/ Icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2006 2:39 pm

reinstall windows O.o
Back to top Go down
Tengel

PostSubject: Re: GEM problems - MAJOR problems....:/   GEM problems - MAJOR problems....:/ Icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2006 4:27 pm

I've done some research, and well, the patch linked on this forum is *not* the newest one. That one (2.21) and especially the next (2.22) seems to be extremely bugged. According to the official web forum, 2.22 even causes WoW to disconnect/crash in some cases. Also Google it, and you'll find lots of stuff wrong with 2.21 and 2.22. I installed the one i found here, 2.21.

Official forum, and latest version of the addon (now 2.23), can be found at this official homepage:

http://christophe.calmejane.free.fr/wow/gem/

Tamerlane wrote:
and addons do affect only the addons folder, cause they are just text scripts and can not do anything outside themselves

This is wrong. Lots of addons have registers and stuff in other folders. Let me prove this for you:
Install Fishing Buddy, fish a little so you get a record showing what you have caught, and where. Completely remove the folder containing this addon, then reinstall it. The old catch records will still be there, cause these are saved in different folders.

Besides, "just text" can be extremely harmful, or useful: a batch file (.bat) is also just a text script, still it can do ANYTHING on your computer, like "format c:" or "deltree c:\windows". It's also VERY easy to get the PC to consider any script as a batch if needed... Shocked
Back to top Go down
Signet
Head of Defence
Head of Defence
Signet

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2006-11-23

PostSubject: Re: GEM problems - MAJOR problems....:/   GEM problems - MAJOR problems....:/ Icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2006 4:38 pm

all addons use interface and "WTF" folder try to delete gem form it
Back to top Go down
Gargash
Head of Defence
Head of Defence
Gargash

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2006-10-08

PostSubject: Re: GEM problems - MAJOR problems....:/   GEM problems - MAJOR problems....:/ Icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2006 12:34 am

Signet wrote:
all addons use interface and "WTF" folder try to delete gem form it

Word. While addon files install in ..World of Warcraft\Interface\Addons , all saved settings and parameters go to ..\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\(your account)\SavedVariables (while they are general settings that affect all your characters), or ..\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\(your account)\(server)\(character) (while they affect only that specific character).

Better yet, a character's settings are saved upon logging out, so when I experience problems with addons, I do this:

1) make sure that your UI looks the way you want (all frames are placed where you want them, and so forth). In short: you are happy with what you see, and every addon is working properly.
2) Alt+Tab to switch windows, or just minimize WoW-window if you play in a windowed mode.
3) Go to C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft (or wherever you have installed the game).

Do a backup copy of the WTF-folder before continuing to step 4, if you feel uncomfortable about deleting folders from your system. This way you can easily and quickly return to the last working state, if you happen to break something.

4) Delete the SavedVariables-folder under Account, then delete your character's folder under Aerie Peak (or whatever server is in question).

Ok, now you're logged in, have the UI worked out, but have no folders left with the settings. Have no fear, WoW will create new folders to place the ones deleted upon logging out. This way you get fresh new folders with files for only the addons that were enabled during this process. A great way to get rid of old addon files that you no longer use (in this case, GEM).

Remember to backup, if feeling uncomfortable. A few seconds of preparations and all that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GEM problems - MAJOR problems....:/   GEM problems - MAJOR problems....:/ Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

GEM problems - MAJOR problems....:/
Page 1 of 1